resume slow on Thinkpad T42 FreeBSD 8-STABLE

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:57:00 UTC 2010

Ian Smith wrote:
> [...] During the 60s resume stall period, iff
> I'd suspended from a VTY, I found I could slowly (like maybe 3 seconds
> per character echoed) type a command, and some commands - possibly those
> cached? as there's no HD access - would run after another few seconds.
>
> In this way I discovered that 'date' commands reported the time some
> seconds after the resume (perhaps hours ago, or yesterday) until the
> stall ended, disk light flashed and normality resumed, sometimes with
> "calcru: time went backwards .." messages, most often for devd.

Yes, same here. I must add that some peripherals do not work normally
after the resume:
- the mouse doesn't work until I restart moused manually
- the network doesn't work: there's a message in dmesg about em0 going
down before the sleep, and although ifconfig says that it's UP, only
after a manual "ifconfig em0 up" it starts working again (except for
host name resolution, which I can't repair for some reason)
- if there's a flash drive inserted, it fails to reattach, sometimes
saying something like this:

  usbus3: port reset timeout
  uhub_reattach_port: port 1 reset failed, error=USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
  uhub_reattach_port: device problem (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT), disabling port 1

Sometimes there's no message about USB timeout, but mounting that drive
still fails with this error:

  mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0: Input/output error

And this appears in the dmesg output:

  (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): AutoSense failed

If I remove and insert the drive again, everything works though.

I also often (but not always) have this in dmesg:

  acpi_ec0: warning: EC done before starting even wait

I don't know if the above information will be useful to anyone, but if
someone wants to look into it, I can provide any further information on
request.

> Are you referring to 8.1-RELEASE or to 8-STABLE as at some date?

8.1-RELEASE-p1.

>  > This has been like this in 7.0 too (except I don't know if it ever
>  > recovered the speed; I remember shutting it down as soon as I saw how
>  > slow it is).
>
> That's a difference then; 7.0-R then 7.2-STABLE (late December, anyway)
> had no such issues here on my T23.

That may have been a separate issue, but I can't recall the exact
symptoms now; I've been under impression that sleep will never work on
my laptop so I didn't experiment much (the fact that it does sort of
work now is news to me).

> When it clears up after a wet week and I have some spare power again
> I'll try building a debug kernel, perhaps omitting and kldoading USB,
> and do some more tests before reporting further, probably in mobile@
> and acpi@ again.  I'll copy you and Ted when I do so.

Please do.