HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Tue Sep 21 14:20:32 UTC 2010

Hi Andriy Gapon!

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:53:56 +0300; Andriy Gapon wrote about 'Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon':

>>> Hmm, it's really simple.
>>> If you want to shape the future of the project, then participate in the places
>>> where the future is shaped.  If you want to know what's coming up in the future,
>>> then watch the places where the future is shaped.  If you don't do either, you get
>>> what you get.  Complaining post factum just doesn't work.  (Numerous other
>>> examples and projects also demonstrate that).
>>> "Current", "stable" are not some alien versions of FreeBSD for some other strange
>>> people to use.
>>> Those are your future releases.
>>> Not looking into the future has its benefits - you are not doing anything; but it
>>> has costs too - you don't know your future.
>>> Looking into the future and shaping it has obvious costs, but the benefits are
>>> clear too.
>>> Business users and old FreeBSD users should know this best of all.
>>> It's strange that you try speak on their behalf but do not seem to realize these
>>> simple things.
>>
>> The essence of your words and your position in other letters is:
>>
>> "We are an open source project exactly the same kind like many others:
>>  we have no [moral] responsibility to our users, we are selfish and want only
>>  your code; give us your code and you will have the right to freedom of speech,
>>  otherwise you're an untermensch".
>
> Please don't put your words into my mouth.
> I've said what I've said.
> Your interpretations do not interest me.

That's not argument, and my words are logical consequences from your words,
and you didn't refute. Still, my statements after, which you skipped (again!
you are again skipping the actual truth which discomforts you!), are valid:
you say that people who want to know the future or help the Project must go
places such as current@, and official FreeBSD docs say that they don't. Thus
you are still wrong.

But you've failed to hold constructive discussion for 4 RTTs. No logic in
reasons, no respect to POVs other than yours -> no hope to prove you something
correctly as it is done in science and should be in FreeBSD mail lists. Just
accusements. Sad.

I give up.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru