Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

Eivind E eivinde at terraplane.org
Mon Sep 13 21:47:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Eivind E <eivinde at terraplane.org> wrote:
> > One of my machines has a Radeon X1550 graphics card. When first
> > installed (then as either 7.1 or 7.1 prerelease), the radeonhd driver
> > hung the machine hard, screen went blank, numlock and capslock
> > didn't work, no network (so no ssh) and I couldn't do much but
> > hard reset the machine. I had to use vesa for a while, then, after
> > upgrading, the radeonhd driver worked up until fairly recent upgrades.
> > Sadly I didn't try the driver very often so I don't know if upgrading
> > src or xorg+drivers helped the problem.
> >
> > The machine is now running FreeBSD 8.1, but after rebuilding all
> > packages via ports, the problem with the radeonhd driver is back,
> > showing exactly the same behaviour as before.
>
> Did you try the normal radeon driver (not radeonhd)?
> It supports the RV515 chip used by the X1550, too.

Yeah, still hangs hard. Trying the normal radeon driver together
with Option "DRI" "False" as suggested to me in another mail
did let X start up once, but set the screen to much darker
colours (which also continued when exiting). Starting X
another time again made the machine hang again.

Thanks for the tip though.
--
     _
_  //