8.1-PRERELEASE: CPU packages not detected correctly

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 1 18:26:34 UTC 2010

On Friday 27 August 2010 03:36 pm, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> [3] AMD is working on an SMT-capable CPU (code-named Bulldozer) and
> my patch won't work on them.  If anyone has a Bulldozer sample,
> please look into it.

I checked AMD website today and found out a new CPUID Spec. Rev. 2.34
was just released:

http://support.amd.com/us/Embedded_TechDocs/25481.pdf

They have added CPUID 0x8000001d and 0x8000001e to detect topology, it
seems.  Also, CPUID 0x80000001 %ecx bit 22 (TopologyExtensions) tells
you whether the above CPUID functions are supported.

Interesting...

Jung-uk Kim