NFS regression on recent STABLE

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Nov 23 17:17:52 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 08:33:52 am Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I've been involved with a project at work doing some fun things with NFS.
> Recently due to changes in a available hardware we did a complete refresh
> of the system.  New HBAs, new storage boxes, and due to some internal
> software confusion we updated the OS on the head from 8.1-R with zpool 15
> backported to STABLE.
>
> Our primary client that we were using against this setup was a ESXi 4.1
> machine.  In a nutshell, it didn't work.  Long description is, ZFS would
> deadlock and any operation on the pool would hang.  The ESXi instance would
> mark the NFS mount as unavailable.  I initially thought this could be due
> to any number of factors, we have new HBAs in the  mix, new storage boxes,
> a new version of zpool, and one test case.
>
> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a somewhat similar setup at home.
> FreeBSD 8.1 NFS server, ESXi 4.1 box mounting an NFS exported ZFS
> filesystem from the FreeBSD box as a datastore.
>
> Last night I pulled that box up to STABLE, rebooted it, and a minute after
> it rebooted the ESXi box marked the NFS datastore as unavailable.  I
> checked the FreeBSD machine and sure enough it hung doing an ls on the
> zpool.
>
> I ran a few tests, and as soon as the ESXi box mounts the NFS export it
> hangs the ZFS filesystem.  If I don't mount it up, the NFS server does
> fine. Thinking it might be a ZFS problem I moved the mount to a UFS
> filesystem. While this doesn't cause the box to hang on filesystem
> operations, the mount goes unavailable.
>
> The only other client I have on my network is a FreeBSD 8.1 box, and that
> has no issues
>
> All of this is with the standard NFS server, I haven't yet tested with the
> experimental server.

Thanks to kib for helping resolve this.

In a nutshell, at one point there was a problem in STABLE, it was fixed, and
my local cvsup mirror fell out of sync and while I thought I was seeing a
problem from a system updated last night, I was getting an old rev.

Updating the system to a mirror that isn't broken fixed the problem.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel