NFS regression on recent STABLE
josh at tcbug.org
Tue Nov 23 17:17:52 UTC 2010
On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 08:33:52 am Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I've been involved with a project at work doing some fun things with NFS.
> Recently due to changes in a available hardware we did a complete refresh
> of the system. New HBAs, new storage boxes, and due to some internal
> software confusion we updated the OS on the head from 8.1-R with zpool 15
> backported to STABLE.
> Our primary client that we were using against this setup was a ESXi 4.1
> machine. In a nutshell, it didn't work. Long description is, ZFS would
> deadlock and any operation on the pool would hang. The ESXi instance would
> mark the NFS mount as unavailable. I initially thought this could be due
> to any number of factors, we have new HBAs in the mix, new storage boxes,
> a new version of zpool, and one test case.
> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a somewhat similar setup at home.
> FreeBSD 8.1 NFS server, ESXi 4.1 box mounting an NFS exported ZFS
> filesystem from the FreeBSD box as a datastore.
> Last night I pulled that box up to STABLE, rebooted it, and a minute after
> it rebooted the ESXi box marked the NFS datastore as unavailable. I
> checked the FreeBSD machine and sure enough it hung doing an ls on the
> I ran a few tests, and as soon as the ESXi box mounts the NFS export it
> hangs the ZFS filesystem. If I don't mount it up, the NFS server does
> fine. Thinking it might be a ZFS problem I moved the mount to a UFS
> filesystem. While this doesn't cause the box to hang on filesystem
> operations, the mount goes unavailable.
> The only other client I have on my network is a FreeBSD 8.1 box, and that
> has no issues
> All of this is with the standard NFS server, I haven't yet tested with the
> experimental server.
Thanks to kib for helping resolve this.
In a nutshell, at one point there was a problem in STABLE, it was fixed, and
my local cvsup mirror fell out of sync and while I thought I was seeing a
problem from a system updated last night, I was getting an old rev.
Updating the system to a mirror that isn't broken fixed the problem.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 488 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/attachments/20101123/1270332e/attachment.pgp
More information about the freebsd-stable