e1000 + vlan = connection lost after ifconfig + vlanid + vlandev
r.sand at new-net.net
Tue Nov 23 02:36:02 UTC 2010
Hi, I noticed that *something has changed* regarding vlan creation since 8.0-rel and 7.1-rel, compared to 8.1-rel / 7-stable
When creating a vlan under 8.1-rel (csup'ed the sources yesterday), the box looses all connectivity
I'm using the following cards:
em0 at pci0:1:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x10d315d9 chip=0x10d38086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller (82574L)'
I was used to create my vlan with the following (works on 8.0 and 7.1):
ifconfig vlan0 create
ifconfig vlan0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 vlan 1234 vlandev em0
Now I don't have the proper knowledge to say *what* changed and *why*, but I did manage to find a possible fix (with a little inspiration, thanks Darius)
At some point, I realized the kernel wasn't panic'ing, since my 'sleep 200 && reboot &' command, issued before the ifconfig, was executed, and the box was indeed rebooting after 200 secs
... Bottom line, is we realized a simple "ifconfig em0 down" than "ifconfig em0 up" would fix the issue !
So i made a simple script for /usr/local/etc/rc.d/000.vlan.sh enclosed below
I'm still wondering if there isn't a cleaner way to do this via rc.conf ...
But at least, it's a working fix-of-the-poor
Home this can still help someone
Ps: sorry if this is the wrong place to post this info, that's my very first humble contribution
case $1 in
ifconfig $vlandev create >> $log
ifconfig $vlandev $ip netmask $mask vlan $vlanid vlandev $cloneddevice >> $log
ifconfig $cloneddevice down >> $log
ifconfig $cloneddevice up >> $log
# for debug ...
# mv /usr/local/etc/rc.d/000.vlan.sh /root/000.vlan.sh && sleep 800 && reboot &
More information about the freebsd-stable