8.1-RELEASE: snd_hda works as module only, suspend/resume leaves display off

Stefan Walter stefan at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 21 10:37:33 UTC 2010

[Resent because I forgot to really cc jkim...sorry!]

Ian Smith, 17.11.10, 04:20h CET:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Bruce Cran wrote:
>  > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:46:44 +0100
>  > Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Download && compile the code (gcc -o chvt chvt.c).
>  > > Add "$path/$to/chvt 1" to /etc/rc.suspend and "$path/$to/chvt 9" to
>  > > /etc/rc.resume, so that your machine automatically changes to ttyv0
>  > > before going to sleep and changes back to X after waking up.
>  >
>  > The acpi code already does this: if you run acpiconf from within X
>  > you'll see ttyv0 appear, the system turns off and when resuming ttyv0
>  > appears before X11.

In my case, I don't see ttyv0 appear before suspend - neither from within
X nor from another tty. But when suspending from another tty, I see ttyv0
briefly after resume before it switches back to the one I started acpiconf
from, so I guess the automatic switching works at least between ttys.

When starting acpiconf from within X, I hear three beeps at intervals of
about one second before the system suspends. As I wrote before, when the
system resumes the screen turns on but remains black, the keyboard doesn't
seem to do anything and I can only press the power button again to shut
the system down completely. There have been cases where I've seen the
console right before its powered down with lots of messages like this one
(typed from memory):

info: [drm] wait idle failed status

> Perhaps this might be one of those machines (I have two) that respond
> positively to setting sysctl hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 ?

When I do that, the only difference I've noticed is that I don't hear the
three beeps mentioned above.

Can anyone tell me if there have been changes to the ACPI code in 8-STABLE
since 8.1-RELEASE that might influence the suspend/resume behaviour in
this case? (There has been an MFC recently, but I have no idea if that
might change anything for me - cc'd jkim because he seems to know much
about this stuff.)

Regards,
Stefan