Console options for legacy-free mini-itx server?

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 17 00:41:29 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 06:55 pm, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 06:36:16PM -0500, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 November 2010 11:55 pm, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> > > Oh: the other thing about this system: I can't warm-start
> > > it, have to power down and then manually hit the power-on
> > > button.  Attempting to reboot leaves the console sitting at
> > > something like "Stopping other CPUs" forever.  I assume that
> > > this is a BIOS config problem, but haven't found the right
> > > control knob yet.  I've tried turning hyperthreading on and
> > > off: no difference.  Reading the kernel code around that
> > > message suggests that rebooting involves getting the keyboard
> > > controller to send an NMI, and I wonder if the legacy-free
> > > no-keyboard state of my system is having an effect on that,
> > > too?
> >
> > You may try "sysctl hw.acpi.handle_reboot=1".  If it works, just
> > add it in /etc/sysctl.conf.
> >
> > FYI, it is automatically set since r213755 and MFC'd to stable/8
> > as r215006.
>
> I've just checked, and my system has that sysctl knob set to 1
> already.  I don't know how long that has been the case, though:
> perhaps it has only been since my last boot anyway?  I will
> give reboot another try when I am next in the same room as the
> machine...

I guess you already have r215006, then. :-)

If it appeared automagically, that means your system supports the ACPI
reset register.  If you still have reboot issues, please let me know.

> I still track -stable with csup, because I believed that to be
> the officially preferred method.

I believe so.

> Is it OK to track directly with svn, now?

Me, not sure.

> More specifically, how can one correlate svn revision numbers
> against a csup-extracted source tree?

Unfortunately I don't see any easy way to find correlation ATM. :-(

Jung-uk Kim