watchdog

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:55:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:19:01AM -0200, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD (uname is below) and these days I'm caught in the log
> message below:
>
> vpn# uname -a
> FreeBSD vpn.auroraalimentos.com.br 7.3-STABLE FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE #0: Sat
> Jun 19 18:39:18 BRT 2010
> root at vpn.xxx.com.br:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VPN  i386
>
> Nov  8 11:53:55 vpn kernel: xl0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts)
> -- recovering
> Nov  8 12:01:21 vpn kernel: xl0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts)
> -- recovering
> Nov  8 12:21:55 vpn kernel: xl0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts)
> -- recovering
> Nov  8 16:11:34 vpn kernel: xl0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts)
> -- recovering
>
> it is possible that the network interface (xl0) is in trouble?

If my memory serve me right there were a couple of reports about
xl(4) watchdog timeout in past. The message was added by me to
track down possible cause of watchdog timeouts. The message means
driver lost Tx completion interrupts but driver noticed that the
queued frames were successfully transmitted such that it didn't
reset the controller and showed the informational message.

To further narrow down the issue, would you show me the following
information?
 o full 'dmesg' output
 o 'pciconf -lcbv' output
 o 'devinfo -rv | grep phy' output