How to tell whether ECC (memory) is enabled?

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Sat Nov 6 17:56:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Thomas Zander
<thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com> wrote:
> This means for now I have to trust the BIOS that ECC is enabled and I
> should see MCA reports in the dmesg output once a bit error is
> detected?

Well, you don't have to take BIOS' word for that and test whether ECC
really works. All you need is intentionally make one data bit bad.Put
some tape on one of the data pads on the DIMM and run memtest. That
would conclusively prove whether the motherboard has ECC enabled.

See here for more details:
http://bluesmoke.sourceforge.net/testing.html

--Artem