fetch hangs when trying to http-download from http://ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org/

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Nov 5 20:21:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:12:32PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 20:59, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >>
> >> The problem has gone away.
> >>
> >> I suppose there's no way of debugging this without being able to
> >> reproduce it. :(
> >
> > There's a lot of ways of debugging this, but "fetch -v" isn't going to
> > provide enough information.  :-)  Hitting Control-T while the process is
> > hung would help, ditto with (in another window) running procstat -kk on
> > the PID of fetch, and "ps -axl | grep fetch".  ...
>
> All that requires me to reproduce it.

Welcome to the joys of debugging.  :-)  What I'm saying is "fetch -v" is
simply insufficient for a problem report.  The above should give you
some more stuff to run the next time you see it.

> > Finally, it would help if you could narrow down the problem to that
> > single mirror server (ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org) or if it happens to you when
> > using other servers as well.
>
> I tried 9 mirrors, this was the only one that caused the problem. I
> tried dozens of files, the problem occurred with all my attempts.
>
> This is RELENG_8:
> FreeBSD mobileKamikaze.norad 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Thu Oct 14 01:07:07 CEST 2010     root at mobileKamikaze.norad:/usr/obj/HP6510b-8/amd64/usr/src/sys/HP6510b-8  amd64

Since you're only seeing this problem with a single mirror, I'd
recommend 1) stop using it, and 2) report the problem to the
freebsd-hubs mailing list.  Usually the mirror maintainers hang out
there.  Possibly something is going on with the machine itself or the
surrounding network which is causing this anomaly for you (and possibly
others who just haven't noticed it regularly, re: only happens
sometimes).