fetch hangs when trying to http-download from http://ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org/

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Nov 5 19:59:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:50:48PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 19:17, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> > This is an example, I can download the file with firefox,
> > but fetch hangs infinitely, even though HTTP_TIMEOUT is set.
> > http://ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/All/ecore-txt-0.9.9.042.tbz
>
> The problem has gone away.
>
> I suppose there's no way of debugging this without being able to
> reproduce it. :(

There's a lot of ways of debugging this, but "fetch -v" isn't going to
provide enough information.  :-)  Hitting Control-T while the process is
hung would help, ditto with (in another window) running procstat -kk on
the PID of fetch, and "ps -axl | grep fetch".  Running fetch under
ktrace (with the flag "-t+") might shed some light on what's going on
too.  You also eventually might need to familiarise yourself with
tcpdump if it's an IP/TCP issue.

You're also going to need to state if you're using any sort of
firewalling stack on the machine itself (ipfw, ipfilter, pf), or if
there's a firewall in front of your machine (including NAT).

Finally, it would help if you could narrow down the problem to that
single mirror server (ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org) or if it happens to you when
using other servers as well.

Oh, and uname -a output would help too, since you didn't disclose what
FreeBSD build/release you're running.