Multi node storage, ZFS

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 17:20:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Michal <michal at ionic.co.uk> wrote:

> This is pretty much what I have been looking for, I don't mind using a
> SAN Controller server in which to deal with all of this in fact I
> expected that, but I wanted to present the disks from a server full of
> HDD's (which in effect is just a storage device) and then join them up.
> I've briefly looked over RAIDz, will give it a good reading over later.
> I'm thinking 6 disks in each server, and two raidz vdev created from 3
> disks in each server. I can them serve them to the network. I've never
> used ISCSI on FreeBSD however, I played with AOE on different *nix's so
> I will give ISCSI a good looking over.

AFAIK, there's no ATA-over-Ethernet support in FreeBSD, leaving iSCSI as the
only "network block device" option.

Although, I guess one could use ggate to export the remote disks.  Not sure
how that compares to iSCSI/AoE.  Or where exactly in the storage stack that
works (below iSCSI/AoE??).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com