Strange problem: if_xe only works in GENERIC kernel

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Fri Mar 19 16:28:40 UTC 2010

As M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Yes.  Do other cards cause this same problem?

Nope, but the xe card is the only one I've got that tries to use the
memory space.  The remaining cards use the ep(4) driver which only
uses IO space access.

> The cbb1: Bad Vcc is a
> big clue something is going wrong with the bridge, not the card.

Hmm, I accused that as a side-effect of having the card already pulled
by the time it appears to finish probing.  Remember, nothing of those
messages appears when *inserting* the card, the machine just sits
there until I pull it.

I've alreay re-introduced the entire bunch of NIC drivers into the
config file, which didn't help.  Next I'll try either the SCSI or the
USB block, don't know yet.