(fixed) Re: 8-STABLE interrupt storm on atapci(?), Dell Inspiron 580

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 12 19:56:46 UTC 2010

Pierre Beyssac wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:59:32PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Except ICH6 Intel uses separate IDs for AHCI and non-AHCI SATA
>> controller modes. So this flag is not completely correct. But probably
>> it shoudn't be just removed, as it is checked in other place. I know
>> about this and going to handle it later. It's not a problem now.
>
> I was wondering exactly about that given the wording of the Intel
> document sent by Jeremy...
>
>>> http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/322170.pdf
>> Thanks.
>> PS: Check BIOS settings for enabling AHCI mode.
>
> Problem is, I can't find any setting to do that, either it's not
> there or it's well hidden. The BIOS is up-to-date. Could it be
> possible for Dell to lock the chip in non-AHCI mode?

It is BIOS job to configure SATA controller mode. It is difficult to do
from driver level and very vendor-specific. Yes, it happens sometimes to
see BIOSes without AHCI support.

--
Alexander Motin