I broke my SSH to jails after 7.2-8.0 src upgrade

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 04:33:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
> On 2010.03.11 22:54, Xin LI wrote:
>> Weird, it seems that RELENG_8_0 do contain the correct file...  What
>> does 'ident /etc/defaults/devfs.rules' show?
>
> ...not necessarily 8_0:
>
> %grep tag /etc/supfile
>
> *default tag=RELENG_8
>
> fwiw:
>
> %ident /etc/defaults/devfs.rules
>
> /etc/defaults/devfs.rules:
>     $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/devfs.rules,v 1.4.2.1.6.1 2009/04/15
> 03:14:26 kensmith Exp $
>
> ...again... perhaps my arg list to mergemaster was the issue. If it was,
> it would be good to know ;)
>
> Otherwise, it was a standard src upgrade.
>
> Let me know if you need anything further. I can simulate the procedure
> on other hardware tomorrow to isolate the issue if you feel that this
> may affect others, or if it can prove that I was just sleeping on the job.

I've done a few RELENG_8_0 to STABLE-8 to 9-CURRENT upgrades lately
and mergemaster was goofing up the contents a bit based on the RCS
versions. I had to hand-edit a crapload of stuff going from 8 to 9,
and I still don't trust mergemaster's automatic merging logic because
it goofs up on /etc/group // /etc/passwd still (doesn't merge
anything, discards my info, etc) for starters.

-a doesn't actually do any merging though, FWIW:

     -a          Run automatically.  This option will leave all the files that
                 differ from the installed versions in the temporary directory
                 to be dealt with by hand.  If the temproot directory exists,
                 it creates a new one in a previously non-existent directory.
                 This option unsets the verbose flag, but other than -U it is
                 compatible with all other options.  Setting -a makes -w
                 superfluous.

Also, "add path pts unhide" unmasks all psuedo TTY dev nodes so that
applications that use openpty(3) and friends (like sshd) can allocate
them at login.

Thanks,
-Garrett