Many processes stuck in zfs

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Mar 11 17:26:12 UTC 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>>> Borja, can you confirm that the CPU is correctly announced in FreeBSD (just look at "dmesg | grep CPU:" output, if it tells you it is a AMD or Intel XXX CPU it is correctly detected by the BIOS)?
>>
>> A CPU bug? Weird. Very.
>
> It depends. CPUs have bugs. You do not want to run any modern CPU without an microcode update. The BIOS is doing it for you at system start.
>
> I do not want to say that this is the problem you have, I just want to point out that it may be possible (but see below). I got hit by this last december and I was finding the solution (replacing the complete system, as only replacing the CPU was not an option) in January.

Of course CPUs have bugs, I don't doubt it. I was just wondering how I coud reproduce the problem with a different hardware :) That's why I said it was unlikely.

Besides, such a low level fault should produce many more problems than such a well defined failure mode, as far as I know.

>> As the servers had to be rolled into production, and such tests with real servers can be quite time consuming, I set up a couple of FreeBSD virtual machines, using VMWare Fusion (version 2 then, now version 3) on a Macbook (Macbook 4,1 Intel Core2Duo, 2.1 GHz) and tried to reproduce it.
>
>> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5420  @ 2.50GHz (2496.25-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Stepping = 10
>
>> The virtual machine (VMWare Fusion 3.0.0, Macbook, Mac OS X 10.6.2) reports this:
>> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz (2116.62-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x10676  Stepping = 6

> Because of this it makes it even more unlikely that it is a CPU problem.

Indeed :)

Borja.