is dtrace usable?

Wed Mar 10 15:21:19 UTC 2010

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> (from Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:12:29 -0500):

> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 5:34:22 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson at freebsd.org> (from Tue, 9 Mar
>> 2010 16:39:09 +0000):

> 'Makefile',

>> > You are neither the first person to have made this observation, nor
>> > the first person to have failed to propose a solution in the form of
>> > a patch :-).
>>
>> It is not a problem to provide a patch, the problem is something else.
>>
>> Is it correct that the result of the ctfmerge/cftconvert stuff is not
>> covered by the CDDL?
>>
>> If yes, why not use it by default if the programs are available (I've
>> read the comment for the NO_CTF part, but IMO we have a chicken&egg
>> situation here, dtrace will not become popular if it is not easy to
>> use it)? This default can be made only for the kernel (by making a
>> copy of the definition of CTFCONVERT into bsd.prog.mk and bsd.lib.mk,
>> or by undefining it there), or for kernel+userland (removing the
>> !WITH_CTF -> NO_CTF part from sys.mk).
>
> Unfortunately the ctf stuff breaks static binaries.  I think that if
> that were
> fixed we would simply enable it by default and be done.

So it should work by enabling it by default for the kernel, and not
for the userland (as we do not have a working PID provider, this
shouldn't be a big problem anyway). And this is something which my
patch is supposed to do, but doesn't because of the strange behavior
described in the previous mail. Any ideas?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
... [concerning quotation marks] even if we *_d_i_d* quote anybody in this
business, it probably would be gibberish.