em(4) interface hangs under 8.0-RELEASE

Nick Rogers ncrogers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:08:26 UTC 2010

Yes, this was the first em(4) problem I ran into when upgrading from
7.2-RELEASE to 8.0-RELEASE. Yourself and others on another thread eventually
recommended turning off TSO and what not. I never had a chance to thoroughly
test this solution on this particular hardware because we had already
switched to a different set of interfaces (on-motherboard bge(4)). We also
had that ALTQ problem popup on em which I'm sure you remember, which
prevented me from going back to the em interfaces for a while.

After solving the ALTQ problem by going back to the 7.2-RELEASE driver, I
thought it would be OK to switch this particular hardware back to using the
em interfaces in production. (we were also experiencing kernel panics due to
some bge(4) issue a few times a week). I had assumed, incorrectly, that
because we were using the em(4) driver from 7.2-RELEASE, there would be no
more "hanging" problem. I've also tried the latest CURRENT em(4) driver.

So I am pretty sure I have experienced this problem under 8.0-RELEASE,
8.0-RELEASE w/ em(4) driver from 7.2, and 8.0-RELEASE w/ em(4) driver from
CVS HEAD.