usr/sbin/service False positives

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Sat Mar 6 06:46:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 00:36, dougb@ wrote:
> On 3/5/2010 9:26 PM, jhell wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE i386 r204701
>>
>> Ive been getting the following (below sig) false positives from logcheck
>> recently (moreso log/messages) from service(8).
>>
>> Is there any way that this could be worked around?
>>
>> This messages happen after a reboot and I am presuming that it might be
>> because of the user of -i to env but I am unsure at this point and wanted
>> to give a heads-up before 7.3-RELEASE.
>>
>> These services had never given warnings to messages before the use of
>> service(8).
>
> I don't understand, how are you using the service command? It's not used by
> anything in the system, it's just a command line tool for administrators.
>

> Doug

Ugh!

Please ignore any message coming from me in the next 10 minutes ;)

I was writing some service checks utilizing periodic about 1 month ago and
doing so I was dragging in rc.subr and doing a load_rc_config and that's
where the WARNING was coming from.

Before I suspended that project for a month I forgot to disable that
piece.

Sorry for the noise.

Thanks anyway,

--