No Pipe Symbol using X-Server via XDMCP

Thorsten Baumeister Toras at gmx.net
Wed Jun 16 10:09:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:43:27, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote
>On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Thorsten Baumeister <Toras at gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 9 Jun 2010 19:22:33, Christian Walther <cptsalek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Christian,
>> thanks for your hints. I still have the old problem, but I realized at the weekend, that they only exist, if I use the KDE Desktop via XDMCP and an X-Server (VcXsrv / Xming) running on XP. I'm not sure whether it's a KDE or XOrg related problem or a problem of the X-Server... If I login directly, everything works fine.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>
>> Thorsten Baumeister

>I had a similar problem with running virtualbox under Windows 7.  The
problem was caused by one of the Keyboard drivers that was installed
under Windows 7.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the
driver.

>What keyboard drivers are installed on your Windows XP system?

>Scot

Hmmm - there are two drivers:
One for the 'HID' Keyboard (C:\Windows\system32\DIVERS\kbdclass.sys, C:\Windows\system32\DIVERS\kbdhid.sys)
and one for a standard kyeboard with 101 / 102 Keys or MS Natural Keyboard (C:\Windows\system32\DIVERS\i8042prt.sys, C:\Windows\system32\DIVERS\kbdclass.sys).

Last night I did some research and found out, that the X-Server which is coming with the Cygwin project is working fine (but slower) usind the same settings on my BSD Box.

The locale ist set to:

LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.ISO8859-15"