SIGEPIPE after update to 8.1-RC2

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Sun Jul 25 11:48:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:20:33PM +1000, Sean wrote:
> I'm getting the same thing; what shell are you using? I changed my shell
> on one machine from /bin/tcsh to /usr/local/bin/bash and problem
> disappeared.

That this workaround helps confirms that masked/ignored SIGPIPE is the
problem. From a few shells I have tried, bash and zsh reset SIGPIPE to
caught or default even if it was ignored (only in interactive mode,
however), while tcsh, sh, mksh and ksh93 leave it ignored.

The underlying problem is the program that is passing the ignored/masked
signal to child processes. Please check if the problem occurs with
various ways to log in (text console, ssh, xterm, etc). Things like PAM
modules may also cause problems here.

For example, sshd sets SIGPIPE to ignored, but resets it back to default
before starting a child process, so assuming I read the code correctly
it does not cause problems.

--
Jilles Tjoelker