SIGEPIPE after update to 8.1-RC2

Sean sean at gothic.net.au
Tue Jul 20 08:38:18 UTC 2010

On 20/07/2010, at 5:19 PM, Ruben van Staveren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This happens during a "sudo portupgrade -va --batch"
> my shell is /bin/tcsh too. When I run "exec bash" after sudo -s and then do the portupgrade the problem doesn't show up.
>
> To me, this is a clear breakage and should be considered a show stopper issue for 8.1-RELEASE. All shells should be equally supported, especially when they reside in /bin. Is there already an open pr on this ?

No PR from me, and not a chance of a fix to 8.1 at this point, unless it really does cause breakage (not just a message, but actually stops things); the tag has been laid down and would need to be slid forward.

It's likely to be either of two things... a bug in sh, that using tcsh highlights because of differing signal setup; or a bug in tcsh that a bug fix in sh highlights. It's a bug that comes and goes in the history of FreeBSD, at least since early 2006 (based on 10 seconds with Google - http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/*bsd-17/broken-pipe-432167/)