immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 02:38:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:49:05PM -0500, Damian Gerow wrote:
> Specific cases aside, writing to the FS is a workaround to a rather
> inconvenient issue.  I, too, would like to see if the problem is fixed, not
> avoided, by using wdidle -- but I suspect I'll have to contact WD myself to
> get that confirmation.

A convenient workaround indeed. Much easier than running DOS (I assume)
firmware twidding programs or firmware updates.

As for wdidle - see the tail end of
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32179.
Sufficient customer complaints might produce a real firmware fix.

One thing I'm sure of - the next time I buy a set of disks for my home
fileserver, I'll spend some time on research rather than rushing to join
the queue (8-(

--
Adrian Wontroba
I'd rather just believe that it's done by little elves running around.