RELENG_7 changes for rc.d/named

Oliver Lehmann oliver at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 1 21:42:23 UTC 2010

Hi Doug,

Doug Barton wrote:

> Your
> suggestion that I've simply foisted some untested crap onto the
> FreeBSD community is at best, rude. At worst, it's just plain stupid
> given that named is chroot'ed by default, and has been for years.

I was not trying to blame you in person for anything which might have
been wrong in rc.d/named or not. If you've read that out of my mail it
must have been my english knowledge which might be insufficient. My
intention was just to bring up a point which may also disencourage other
people.
I was just wondering why the chroot option of named-checkconf was not
used with the specified chroot-dir. Then named-checkconf would have
picked up the specified configuration file.
This was all what I was trying to mention in the first place... But It
looks like this was the wrong "solution" to my problem. This is OK for
me....

> Furthermore, you might want to reconsider your tone the next time you
> ask people who are volunteering their time to help you with problems
> that you've created for yourself.

I will, but please also consider that a foreigner must not have the same
english skills you have and that it is easy to get the tone wrong
unintentionally. At least in german it is kinda easy ;)

> > named_flags="-u bind -c /etc/named/named.conf"
>
> Neither of those are necessary, and they should be removed. I've
> updated the comments in /etc/defaults/rc.conf to indicate that
> named_flags should not be used for -u and -c. I'll MFC that ASAP.

removed it

> > #named_conf="/etc/named/named.conf"
>
> The latter is correct. Everything should be specified relative to the
> chroot directory.

used that

> You can fix
> this in your situation by removing whatever is there for /etc/named
> and creating the symlink yourself before trying to start it up again.

Did that and used your new script - now it works.

> What I recommend to people is that
> they start with the default named.conf and then use include statements
> for local options.

Hmm ok... But  I'm using this configuration/setup since 03/2003 without
problems and just adjusted it from time to time to meet the new
requirements (bind 8->9 switch and so on)
I'm using "named" instead of "namedb" because the whole directory is kept
in a local cvs and I just wanted it "out" of the FreeBSD related files to
make sure there is no interference at all.

  Greetings, Oliver