mountd segfaults in NFSv4 if -alldirs is present in exports

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Fri Feb 19 15:51:47 UTC 2010

On 19/02/2010 17:44, George Mamalakis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the title explains it all...
>
> But ok, let's be a bit more extensive.
>
> If I have one line in /etc/exports reading:
>
> V4:  /  -alldirs
>
> and try to start mountd, it segfaults with signal 11. From the manpage
> I read that -alldirs is the "second method" used to export a
> filesystem and V4 is the "third", maybe implying that they are
> mutually exclusive. Nevertheless, I suppose that mountd shouldn't
> segfault in my case, it could just refuse to start giving an error
> message or something. I've tried a different /etc/exports containing a
> dummy option -dummy instead of -alldirs and mountd won't segfault,
> hence there's no problem with its parser.

oops,

forgotten system info:

# uname -a
FreeBSD lala 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Fri Feb 19 11:45:56 EET
2010     root at lala:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAMALOPYRINO-NFS4  i386

my custom kernel has the follwoing differences from GENERIC:

# diff GENERIC MAMALOPYRINO-NFS4
21,22c21,22
< cpu        I486_CPU
< cpu        I586_CPU
---
 > #cpu        I486_CPU
 > #cpu        I586_CPU
24c24
< ident        GENERIC
---
 > ident        MAMALOPYRINO-NFS4
49c49,50
< options     NFSSERVER        # Network Filesystem Server
---
 > options     NFSD        # Network Filesystem Server
 > #options     NFSSERVER        # Network Filesystem Server
332c333
< device        firewire    # FireWire bus code
---
 > #device        firewire    # FireWire bus code
334,337c335,338
< device        fwe        # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
< device        fwip        # IP over FireWire (RFC 2734,3146)
< device        dcons        # Dumb console driver
< device        dcons_crom    # Configuration ROM for dcons
---
 > #device        fwe        # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
 > #device        fwip        # IP over FireWire (RFC 2734,3146)
 > #device        dcons        # Dumb console driver
 > #device        dcons_crom    # Configuration ROM for dcons

Which means that I have all firewire commented out (since fbsd8 kernel
panics on my msi gt627 otherwise, but that's another issue), and I have
NFSD instead of NFSSERVER as an option.

Cheers all.

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379