www/firefox: Firefox 3.6 crashes, Firefox 3.5.7 not

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Mon Feb 8 16:20:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 13:32:25 +0000
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Today, I upgraded Firefox 3.5.7 (built yesterday) to Firefox 3.6. After
> deleting ~/.mozilla (after I did a buckup, of course), I tried a fresh
> start of 'firefox3'. After firefox showed up, I realized that no
> option-field (File, Extras etc) can be used, they are dead and after a
> few seconds I clicked them, firefox3 is crashing.
>
> Since I recompiled firefox 3.5.7 yesterday I was wondering if this is
> due to some 'false' lib or dependency. Since I figured that I have
> similar trouble with Thunderbird 3.0.1 after I installed it, I suspect a
> faulty library causing this behaviour. With Thunderbird 3, I never
> solved the problem although I tried to rebuild everything with
> thunderbird via 'portmaster -f'. I'll did this with firefox 3.6 also,
> but with no success.
>
> The crashing is observed on two nearly identical SMP FreeBSD 8.0/amd64
> STABLE boxes (make world of today), up-to-date ports. The crash is NOT
> observed on my private oldish UP box, nearly the same setup, OS at the
> same revision and ports up to date as of yesterday. Maybe this could be
> a hint.
>
> Any hints or suggestions?

Try doing "ldd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin" and see if anything
looks weird.

You can porbably ignore
/usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin:
        libxul.so => not found (0x0)
        libmozjs.so => not found (0x0)
        libxpcom.so => not found (0x0)
because run-mozilla.sh sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
/usr/local/lib/firefox3 where these libraries are installed.

I merely deleted my old firefox 3.6 and reinstalled from the port (on
9-CURRENT AMD64) and haven't seen any problems.  But of course, I've
been running various incarnations of 3.6 for a while and may have gotten
all the dependencies already correctly installed.

---
Gary Jennejohn