www/firefox: Firefox 3.6 crashes, Firefox 3.5.7 not

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 8 13:30:56 UTC 2010

Today, I upgraded Firefox 3.5.7 (built yesterday) to Firefox 3.6. After
deleting ~/.mozilla (after I did a buckup, of course), I tried a fresh
start of 'firefox3'. After firefox showed up, I realized that no
option-field (File, Extras etc) can be used, they are dead and after a
few seconds I clicked them, firefox3 is crashing.

Since I recompiled firefox 3.5.7 yesterday I was wondering if this is
due to some 'false' lib or dependency. Since I figured that I have
similar trouble with Thunderbird 3.0.1 after I installed it, I suspect a
faulty library causing this behaviour. With Thunderbird 3, I never
solved the problem although I tried to rebuild everything with
thunderbird via 'portmaster -f'. I'll did this with firefox 3.6 also,
but with no success.

The crashing is observed on two nearly identical SMP FreeBSD 8.0/amd64
STABLE boxes (make world of today), up-to-date ports. The crash is NOT
observed on my private oldish UP box, nearly the same setup, OS at the
same revision and ports up to date as of yesterday. Maybe this could be
a hint.

Any hints or suggestions?

Regards,
Oliver