root mount error

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Dec 28 00:36:05 UTC 2010

Hey michael,

First, I'd advise making use of FreeBSD's nextboot utility to test new
kernels:
http://fuse4bsd.creo.hu/localcgi/man-cgi.cgi?nextboot+8

Second, I would suggest reading the handbook's excellent section on
upgrading your machine or rebuilding the kernel:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading.html

Now, a likely cause of your problem is the installation of a custom
kernel with removed support for whatever your hard disk drive or raid
controller is recognized as.

Did you reinstall your old, working kernel, or are you actually asking
for help doing just that ?