root mount error

Michael BlackHeart amdmiek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:43:45 UTC 2010

Hello

I've got trouble with FreeBSD 8 Stable
First I've put on notebook 8.2 RELEASE amd64, then SVN'ed src's to
yesterday revision I don't remember exact number, but I've have this
problem aobut week or two so it's not so important, also as it doesn't
work on i386 too.

After installing new kernel I've just build - indeed it always was
GENERIC for both arch's on clean system - I've got an a kernel painc
caused by disability to mount root partition because kernel couldn't
see the drive. By pressing '?' I've sen only acd0 that represents
CD-ROM.

In debug messages I haven't found anything about ad0 - than hdd was
identified before new kernel was installed.
I've got an HP 6720s notebook with SATA 160GB Hitachi HDD that is
working with diabled SATA native mode.

I've not found any info 'bout this error in recent 8.Stable so I don't
know how to handle this one.