Accidentally aborted upgrade via freebsd-update - how to recover?

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Dec 27 23:06:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:58:28PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
>On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 02:47:53PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
>
>  Thanks for the prompt response!

Your welcome :)

>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:44:26PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
>> > How can I continue from here without downloading and applying 29000+
>> >patches all over again, not to mention having to manually resolve the
>> >updated $FreeBSD lines in a ton of config files?  (Or worse, having it
>> >try to apply patches which have already been applied?)
>> >
>> > I just tried typing "sudo freebsd-update install" and
>> >"sudo freebsd-update install -r 7.1-RELEASE" but that gives me:
>>
>> I've never run this command for a specific release.
>> >
>> >"No updates are available to install."
>>
>> What happens if you run "freebsd-update install" ?
>
>  Same message.

You may want to just try and run the 'fetch' again.
freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE fetch

>> If you haven't installed anything, there is nothing to rollback. A
>> feature that is part of freebsd-update.
>
>  I guess I should have realized that, at least.
>
>> > Is there some way to resume where I left off?
>>
>> I'm not aware of any method to do this, other than to remove everything
>> under /var/db/freebsd-update and start from the beginning.
>
>  OK, and oh well...  I wish there were some way to automate the diffing
>out of the $FreeBSD lines.  I suppose those might be the artifact of
>some previous upgrade, so that the file version present is not the one
>expected for FreeBSD 6.1.

I believe there is with a handcrafted mergemaster.rc file. I was told by
Colin that this 'bug' was introduced at some point with freebsd-update,
as branches at one point weren't tagged.

When they started to get tagged, freebsd-update started to compare.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman
System Administrator