Accidentally aborted upgrade via freebsd-update - how to recover?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Mon Dec 27 22:58:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 02:47:53PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:

  Thanks for the prompt response!

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:44:26PM -1000, Clifton Royston thus spake:
> > How can I continue from here without downloading and applying 29000+
> >patches all over again, not to mention having to manually resolve the
> >updated $FreeBSD lines in a ton of config files?  (Or worse, having it
> >try to apply patches which have already been applied?)
> >
> > I just tried typing "sudo freebsd-update install" and
> >"sudo freebsd-update install -r 7.1-RELEASE" but that gives me:
>
> I've never run this command for a specific release.
> >
> >"No updates are available to install."
>
> What happens if you run "freebsd-update install" ?

  Same message.

> If you haven't installed anything, there is nothing to rollback. A
> feature that is part of freebsd-update.

  I guess I should have realized that, at least.

> > Is there some way to resume where I left off?
>
> I'm not aware of any method to do this, other than to remove everything
> under /var/db/freebsd-update and start from the beginning.

  OK, and oh well...  I wish there were some way to automate the diffing
out of the $FreeBSD lines.  I suppose those might be the artifact of
some previous upgrade, so that the file version present is not the one
expected for FreeBSD 6.1.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net