umass: AutoSense failed

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Dec 9 22:11:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:35:56PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:
> What could be the reason for the following failure?
>
> ugen2.2: <Sony> at usbus2
> umass0: <Sony Sony DSC, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.50, addr 2> on usbus2
> umass0:  RBC over CBI; quirks = 0x0000
> umass0:1:0:-1: Attached to scbus1
> (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): AutoSense failed
>
> This occurs on 4 different boxes, all on 8.1-RELEASE.
> Never happened on previous releases.
> The camera works on an Ubuntu system.

Please try a 8.1-STABLE or 8.2-PRERELEASE snapshot (you can boot the
livefs CD or USB memstick image to test) and see if things are different
(improved) there.

ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201011/

8.x uses a newer/different USB stack than 7.x.

Finally, when you say "the camera", are you talking about a webcam, a
digital camera with an SD or CF card, or what?  "The camera" doesn't
really describe the product.  The reason I ask: umass is for storage
devices; a webcam shouldn't be appearing as a storage device, while a
SD/CF/etc. card in a digital camera should.