Fwd: Re: Fail to use Dtrace on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:37:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:22:40PM -0600, Brandon Gooch wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > OK. Let's make this more clear: anyone has a working 8-2-PRERELEASE kernel
>> > (amd64 is preferred) with Dtrace supports, which can run the
>> > scripts/commands on the wiki? If so, please post your kernel configurations
>> > here, thanks.
>>
>> I have an i386 system working:
>> [snip]
>
> Can you please try the command the OP originally provided?  See command
> here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-November/060216.html

d820# dtrace -lP syscall | head
   ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
   17    syscall                                             syscall entry
   18    syscall                                             syscall return
   19    syscall                                                exit entry
   20    syscall                                                exit return
   21    syscall                                                fork entry
   22    syscall                                                fork return
   23    syscall                                                read entry
   24    syscall                                                read return
   25    syscall                                               write entry

The error the OP received from the above command was pretty much
exactly what I was seeing when I attempting to use DTrace on my HEAD
system, built with clang. Same error, at least this part:

"/usr/lib/dtrace/psinfo.d", line 88: failed to resolve type
kernel`struct thread * for identifier curthread: Unknown type name"

I was running simply 'dtrace -l' to list all probes...

-Brandon