glabel+gmirror (8.0-RC1 problem)

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Sun Sep 27 20:37:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

that gmirror together with glabel cannot be used looks like a problem
introduced with 8.0-RC1 to me.

What I did:

2. Installation
3. reboot
4. mirror Root-hdd
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=17
gmirror label -vb round-robin gm0 da0
gmirror load
echo 'geom_mirror_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
echo 'geom_label_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

5. adjust fstab
vi /etc/fstab
:%s/ad/mirror\/gm/g

6. reboot

7. mirror Root-hdd
gmirror insert gm0 da1
gmirror status

8. wait until gmirror is done

9. reboot

10. glabel status

With 8.0-RC1 I see only da0s1a, da0s1d, da0s1e and da0s1f as Components
shown by glabel(8).
With 8.0-BETA3 I see mirror/gm0s1a, mirror/gm0s1d, mirror/gm0s1e and
mirror/gm0s1f as Components which would be correct here.

I use old IBM 2GB DFHS harddisks for that tests. I have a bunch of them
so I used for both tries "fresh" drives.

I can't see what has changed here between BETA3 and RC1 but something
must have changed in a way which renders gmirror together with glabel on
RC1 non-working.

I just did that as testing the configuration I want to use for my
fileserver when the new harddisks arrived but now I'm not sure If I
should rely on gmirror+glabel....