8.0 rc.d scripts less verbose?

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Thu Sep 17 08:59:02 UTC 2009

On 2009-09-17 09:17, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> My feeling is that hiding all of the "starting" messages
> is a regression that needs to be fixed.  I cannot think
> of a good reason why they should be hidden, but there
> are certainly good reasons to display them.

The commit that introduced this, r179946, has this log message:

====
Move the diagnostic output when the rc.subr(8) glue automatically starts a
service behind $rc_quiet. Instead, output a warning if the pre-command
routine or the command itself failed. Arguably, it's more useful to know when
a command failed to start than it is to have an endless list of
"Starting ...." lines[1].

[1] - This change actually helped me to discover a bug in rc.d/{lockd,statd}
      (fixed in r179941) that used to fail silently before.
====

It is really a matter of taste, I guess.  There is something to be said
for eliminating verbosity, in order to make real errors more visible.

On the other hand, if one of your startup rc scripts hangs (for whatever
reason), it is nice to have an approximate idea which one it is. :)