8.0 rc.d scripts less verbose?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 17 07:17:30 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
 > The attached patch adds a knob you can set in rc.conf to see "Starting
 > foo" messages again. If people find this useful I'll be glad to commit
 > it. I'm also open to suggestions for a better name.

Thanks, this is definitely useful.
Actually I think this should be the default.

My feeling is that hiding all of the "starting" messages
is a regression that needs to be fixed.  I cannot think
of a good reason why they should be hidden, but there
are certainly good reasons to display them.

Just my 2 cents as a long-time admin and user.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall