whats best pracfive for ZFS on a whole disc these days ?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Oct 27 06:17:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Pete French wrote:
> just about to build a new ZFS based system and I was wondering
> what the recommended way to dedicate a whole disc to ZFS is
> these days. Should I just give it 'da1', 'da2' etc as I have
> done in the past, or is it better to use GPT to create a
> partition over the whole disc, which is marked as
> being for freebsd-zfs ?
>
> Not that I have had any problems with simply using bare
> drives, but the phrase 'dangerously dedicated' does keep
> nagging at me, hence considering the GPT route :-)

I put GPT's on mine and reserved a few Gb on each so I could swap/dump
on them (4Gb on each - overkill but kept them all the same size).

Unfortunately it appears ZFS doesn't search for GPT partitions so if you
have them and swap the drives around you need to fix it up manually.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum