uart(4) on stable/7

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Tue Oct 27 01:56:21 UTC 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Matthew Fleming wrote:

> I can ssh to my box, echo to /dev/console appears on the console;
> messages on reboot appear on the console, just not the login prompt.
> Does anyone know what else I may be missing to use uart(4)?

As Andrew pointed put, you need to update /etc/ttys as well.

> Also, we have some boot scripts locally that will try to set
> machdep.conspeed based on hardware type; uart(4) doesn't seem to
> expose
> a sysctl by that name.  How does the uart driver for stable/7 deal
> with
> differing console speeds?

uart(4) has 2 approaches for this:
1)  you don't specify a speed -- in this case uart(4) will
     simply re-use the speed that hardware is programmed for.
2)  You do specify a speed - uart(4) will reprogram the
     the console speed based on the hw.uart.console tunable.
     Note that for compatibility with sio(4) hints can be
     used as well. Use hint.uart.0.baud=9600 to set the
     console speed to 9600 baud.

There's no compiled-in console speed. The compiled-in default
(in a way) is to use the speed the hardware is programmed for.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com