Make release process for 7.2-STABLE @ r198084

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 19 17:34:37 UTC 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 7:16:41 pm jhell wrote:

> I have just been setting up a release cycle for making some iso's of my
> own for a modified revision of the source that I am going to be using for
> offline use and run into a repetitive copy that I am hoping someone could
> shed some light on.
>
> Output from a make release run. "Portion in question"
> [...]
> cd /usr/obj/RELENG/usr &&  cp -R -H /usr/src src
> rm -rf /usr/obj/RELENG/usr/ports
> cd /usr/obj/RELENG/usr && cp -R -H /usr/ports ports
> # If there are distfiles downloaded removing them
> rm -rf ports/distfiles/*
> rm -rf /usr/obj/RELENG/usr/doc
> cd /usr/obj/RELENG/usr && cp -R -H /usr/doc doc
> if [ -d /usr/src/release/../../ports/distfiles/ ]; then  cp -rp
> /usr/src/release/../../ports/distfiles
> /usr/obj/RELENG/usr/ports/distfiles;  else  mkdir -p
> /usr/obj/RELENG/usr/ports/distfiles;  fi
>
> >From the above output and what happened my ports tree was copied over
> along with the distfiles the first time cp was issued on the ports
> directory. Then shortly after that it removes the copied distfiles and
> issues the next command to copy the docs over. After it does a test for
> ../../ports/distfiles from the release directory which happens to be the
> same directory it previously copied over and then removed and is now
> issuing a command to copy over again?.
>
> Is there a problem with the layout of directories from which I started
> this process maybe?
>
> Fault in the script for make release possibly ?
>
> Did I miss some tunable for the make release ?
>
> >From this setup for a make release everything is a default type of
> structure/setup/layout for ports and source and doc from a install. If I
> have to do this again I don't want to copy over 4+ GiB of distfiles twice.
>
> Thanks.

I think this is a property of using EXTPORTSDIR.  Generally releases are built
against a CVS repo and the ports tree is checked out from that.  I would
suggestion changing the 'cp' of ports from EXTPORTSDIR to instead do
something fancier that excludes copying distfiles in the first place.

--
John Baldwin