kbdcontrol: map Backspace key to '\' fails

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 9 17:23:29 UTC 2009

Claus Assmann <> wrote:
 > On Thu, Oct 08, 2009, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Claus Assmann  wrote:
 > > > On FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE it seems to be impossible to map the Backspace
 > > > key to '\' and '|'. Here's what I did:
 >
 > > > Change /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.unix.kbd:
 > > > [...]
 >
 > > The diff looks good and should work fine.
 >
 > > Please use this command:
 >
 > >   kbdcontrol -l us.unix.kbd < /dev/ttyv0
 >
 > Thanks, but that still doesn't give me '\' when I hit Backspace.
 > Does it work for you?

I don't have a syscons console on a 7.2 machine in front
of me right now.  But I've tested in on a 8-current machine,
and it does indeed work.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal