Problems Compiling KDE4 from ports

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 14:26:05 UTC 2009

> I'm trying to install the KDE4 "meta" port on an up-to-date install of
> Freebsd 7.2.  When it tries to build a dependency,
> kdebindings4-python-pykde4, I get the following build error:
>
> /usr/ports/kdebindings4-python-pykde4/work/kdebindings-4.3.1/python/pykde4/sip/soprano/languagetag.sip:27:33
> error: soprano/language.h: no such file for directory
>
> I'm updated my ports collection, done a "make clean" and tried it again.  I
> still get the same thing.  Any
> ideas?_______________________________________________
>
> I hope you're continuing to use a port tool like portmaster or portupgrade.
>  The line you posted is an invalid path.  The port dir is
> /usr/ports/devel/kdebindings4-python-pykde4/
>
> --
> Adam Vande More

> Sorry, I couldn't get copy/paste to work.  I had to type everything in by
> hand, I made a mistake.  The port dir you listed is correct.
>
> All I'm doing is going into the kdebindings4-python-pykde4 folder and
> running "make".  Is that not the way I should be doing it?

That method is OK if you're doing a clean install ie only freebsd is
installed no ports.  However, if you're upgrading an existing system after
updating your ports tree then you need to worry about dependencies.  make
doesn't like when old versions of dependencies are already installed.
That's what tools like portmaster and portupgrade are for.  Read
/usr/ports/UPDATING after every ports tree update for new info.  To properly
upgrade kde4 you should do something like this:

portmaster -D x11/kde4

--
Adam Vande More