r197748 - base/stable/7/bin/sh/ 7.2-STABLE i386

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Oct 8 04:59:44 UTC 2009

r197748 | jilles | 2009-10-04 13:16:11 -0400 (Sun, 04 Oct 2009) | 7 lines

MFC r197371: Mention that NUL characters are not allowed in sh(1) input.

I do not consider this a bug because POSIX permits it and argument strings
and environment variables cannot contain '\0' anyway.

PR:             bin/25542

Recently I have been noticing strange happenings of what I believe to be
coming from the latest revision of /bin/sh. Prior to this revision it had
not happened to the following examples. I am taking this as it could just
be a following behavior in sudo due to fixing the first behavior in sh(1)
but I am not sure and looking for feedback.

How to repeat: ( Let me know if this is only me. )
# sudo rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work

After issuing the above command the process waits for the list of (work)
directories to be collected and ends by bombing out with pam timeout
error. This could probably be easier seen with higher IO load but it has
struck me kind of odd since I have not seen it at all till now. Also once
it gets started you can not ^C the process until it has run the full
directory tree.

Behavior before, you could issue the command and it would ask you for your
password before it would issue any IO to the disk. Is the new behavior
called for adjusting your command to sh -c "rm -rf /usr/blah/bloo/bla*" ?

Thanks

--

  ;; dataix.net!jhell         2048R/89D8547E 2009-09-30
  ;; BSD since FreeBSD 4.2    Linux since Slackware 2.1