security.bsd.map_at_zero=0 problem with samba33 (including solution)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 4 19:07:43 UTC 2009

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
>
> Hi,

>>> To add an additional note samba33 even when not running (not enabled
>>> by a rcvar)
>>> also runs a tdbcleanup routine on shutdown and/or start that also does
>>> abort().
>>
>> Yes, every samba programme is linked with -pie per default (so
>> all abort()).
>

> Thanks for reporting the issue.  People are aware of the problem now
> and we'll try to present a solution within the next days for better
> position-independent executable (PIE) handling.
>
> Meanwhile there are multiple solutions for people affected:
>
> (1) recompile the port;

Just to be clear, you have to recompile the port with --disable-pie
added to the CONFIGURE_ARGS in the Makefile.

It would also be nice if there were a __FreeBSD_version bump for this
new feature.

Doug