ral(4) on 8-RC1

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 16:26:38 UTC 2009

Odd little issue just cropped up on my lappie running 8.0-RC1 amd64. On 7.2
the ral(4) wireless NIC (2560 1st gen mini-PCI) gave me the Japanese
regulatory domain allocations (2.412GHz to 2.477GHz, 14 channels) on
802.11g. I understand a lot has changed with 802.11 on 8, but I can now
only ever get 2.412-2.462GHz channels 1 to 11. It's not a huge issue right
now as my own AP is within that range, but I may run into problems using
open access WiFi on the go sometime in the future, with being in the UK
(ETSI) and all that.

wlan0 is set up in rc.conf like this:

wlans_ral0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="country GB regdomain ETSI protmode off WPA DHCP"

Taking the interface down and tweaking ifconfig's regdomain and related
options makes no difference. I still only end up with 11 channels no matter
what I try. Booting from 6.3 (DSBSD over PXE) lists, yet again, 14 channels
when I use ifconfig ral0 list chans. Ifconfig lists the correct country and
regdomain, so I'm stumped. I do get the "ral0: need multicast update
callback" warning, but I'm led to believe that this is harmless.

ral0 at pci0:2:4:0: class=0x028000 card=0x614618e8 chip=0x02011814 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
vendor='Ralink Technology, Corp'
device='Ralink Chipset 802.11b/g WLAN card (
PCIVEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_68331460&REV_013&)'
class=network
cap 01[40]=powerspec 2 supports D0 D3 current D0

Any ideas? Anything else I can do to check the card? Anything else I should
have included? I also have a 2561 based Gigabyte GN-WI01GS (also ral) and
an iwi(4) 2915 dual band card to test with (and no silly BIOS limitations
to stop me, thank $DEITY), but I've had zero luck with iwi on amd64, hence
the Ralink card. Last time I tried iwi, the default build (7.1 IIRC) didn't
build the module or its firmware (I did have the license ack in
loader.conf) and I had to faff about connecting the module to the build,
which wasn't pleasant and didn't work anyway (no results from scan, no
association with my AP despite working perfectly on i386 with the same
config).
--
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE