5.5-STABLE to 88.0-RELEASE

Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Thu Nov 26 20:11:18 UTC 2009

Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> can one go from 5.5 to 8.0 using the normal hammer, or is it
>> multi-stage, and i should just blow it away and go from install?
>
>> randy
>
> It is do able, but you need to rebuild all ports.
> And to go from 5.5 to 8 it is adviced to go trough all major version,
> like 6 and 7 and then go to 8.
>
> So my take is, backup all your data, and config files and do a
> reinstall.
> This way you make sure there are no un needed libs and old stuff laying
> around which can clobber your system.
>
> Regards,
> Johan Hendriks

I believe you'll have to wait quite some time for 88.0. ;)

A lot of config files have changed since 5.5. Some have been added and
some have been removed and others been changed in various ways.

I'd suggest either removing all ports, then going through the 5.5 -> 6.0
-> 7.0 -> 8.0 and be sure to run the mergemaster, make delete-old, make
delete-old-libs at each stage and finally install the ports you need or
back up your data (not the config files), do a fresh install of 8.0 and
configure from scratch, restore the data, install the ports you need.

I may be paranoid suggesting this, and others may disagree with me,
however I've had problems caused by config files changing after upgrading.

Good Luck,

Rolf Nielsen