Can't use gpt labels re-importing pool

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Thu Nov 26 11:42:50 UTC 2009

According to Arnaud Houdelette:
>As I said, the label is not present in /dev/gpt while used with
>adaXp1 ( here ada1p1 has label HD753LJ-1)  :
># ls /dev/gpt
>HD753LJ-4 zfs-boot
># zpool replace  tank ada1p1 gpt/HD753LJ-1
>cannot open 'gpt/HD753LJ-1': no such GEOM provider

>I know there is the solution of cleaning the disk and resilvering,
>but if I could avoid this ?

Do you load glabel in loader.conf?

I think that in order to be able to use GPT labels in GEOM (and thus ZFS), you set them with gpart, glabel will "load" them in the kernel and you then can use them for zfs.

I recently moved from ata to ahci and wanted to use labels for the swap partitions.  So I added a label to my swap partitions with gpart, they got recognized by geom thru glabel and I was able to use /dev/gpt/swapN instead of the usual /dev/adNp2 that were there before.

Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
In memoriam to Ondine : http://ondine.keltia.net/