7.2 dies in zfs

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sat Nov 21 20:57:22 UTC 2009

On 2009-Nov-21 09:47:56 +0900, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>imiho, zfs can not be called production ready if it crashes if you do
>not stand on your left leg, put your right hand in the air, and burn
>some eye of newt.

FWIW, it's still very brittle on Solaris 10 and the Sun Support
response to most issues is "restore from backup".  The IMHO, the
biggest issue with ZFS itself is lack of recovery tools prior to PSARC
2009/479 (in ZFS v21).

On 2009-Nov-21 11:36:43 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>RELENG_7 uses ZFS v13, RELENG_8 uses ZFS v18.

Not in my repository.  I still have v13 in
sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/sys/fs/zfs.h in last night's
RELENG_7, RELENG_8 and -current.

>RELENG_7 and RELENG_8 both, more or less, behave the same way with
>regards to ZFS.  Both panic on kmem exhaustion.  No one has answered my
>question as far as what's needed to stabilise ZFS on either 7.x or 8.x.

My understanding is that the problem is more that the FreeBSD VM
system doesn't gracefully handle running low or out of memory.

--
Peter Jeremy