whats best pracfive for ZFS on a whole disc these days ?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:45:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Marius Nünnerich wrote:
> > >  operator    0, 164 Oct 21 15:34
> > > /dev/gptid/6866d8b0-a8ac-11de-8e07-00241dd192cc
> >
> > Have you tried naming the GPT partitions and using /dev/gpt/* ?
>
> Nope, how would I do that?
>
> I'd be surprised if it worked TBH..

Use the -l flag to gpart when creating the partitions. I'm not sure if there
is a way to label them after the fact. I found it led to a much more
descriptive/reliable pool, as I can plug the disks in anywhere and get the
same results:

  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

    NAME                  STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    tank                  ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz1              ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/samsung15-1   ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/samsung15-2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/samsung15-3   ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/samsung15-4   ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/seagate15-1   ONLINE       0     0     0
        gpt/seagate15-2   ONLINE       0     0     0

I use the geom name 'gpt/foo' when referring to the disks in zpool. All
works perfectly.

Cheers

Tom