Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Nov 19 08:52:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:15:59 -0600 Barry Pederson <bp at barryp.org> wrote
about Re: Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters:

BP> What I was questioning was where the OP said: "it fits into a standard
BP> PCIe slot and works nicely there as far as I can tell" - which to me
BP> sounds like you could use this HBA in a *NON-Supermicro* motherboard.

BP> I was just wondering if that was truly the case, given how in the
BP> photos it looks to be arranged physically backwards from a regular
BP> PCIe card, and given how you mention "The UIO slot itself is
BP> proprietary".

I'm sorry if my comment "fits into a standard PCIe slot" was misleading
here. I wanted to state that -although Supermirco lists this one as a card
for UIO- I plugged it into a standard PCIe slot and it simply works there
for me. Just the mounting bracket it came with did not fit, but for a low
profile card it is not that difficult to live without it.

BP> But some more digging on Google has turned up a few mentions along the
BP> lines of:
BP>
BP> """
BP>    This card plugs into a normal PCIe 8x slot but the
BP>    metal mounting bracket bolted to the card is made
BP>    for a UIO slot (which is why it's so cheap).
BP>
BP>    All you have to do is remove the metal bracket and
BP>    zip-tie the card to your case for mechanical support.
BP>    Electrically it'll work fine in a PCIe x8 or x16 slot.
BP> """

That's exactly my experience.

BP> If someone wanted to make PCIe compatible brackets for this affordable
BP> card, they'd probably sell a fair number to small shops or home users.

Yeah, I would also buy some. :-)

cu
  Gerrit